Burn fat and get slim (with juicing)
Daily juicing emails, including: low-calorie juicing recipes, incredible benefits, little-known tips and tricks
Health Benefits of Lemon Juice
What are the health benefits of lemon juice?
Are you aware of the amazing health benefits of lemon juice?
This little yellow fruit packs a serious punch when it comes to nutritional power, and juicing lemons can give your body a massive boost.
We see lemons everywhere, and they are in numerous household items including:
- Homemade lemonade.
- Other drinks, such as cocktails.
- For stain removal.
- As deodorizer and air freshener.
- In cooking as an ingredient and a garnish.
Lemon goes great with fish. I remember sitting on the beach with my family, enjoying fresh fish and chips with lots of lemon juice.
But beyond cooking, in the world of traditional medicine, the health benefits of lemon juice are widely known for their healing powers. Lemon is used in many different ways. Even the Romans were aware of the power of lemon and used it as a cure for all types of poison. The Romans also knew about the benefits of beet juice.
Lemon is an inexpensive, easily available citrus fruit that can be used for many different purposes as you already know. With 5% citric acid, lemon has a somewhat tarty taste.
Now, it’s generally common knowledge that fresh fruits and vegetables are good for you. But what about lemon specifically? What are the health benefits of lemon juice and how can juicing lemons help us?
Let’s have a closer look at this bright, yellow fruit.
Health Benefits of Lemon Juice
- To start with, the health benefits of lemon juice are known to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, bloating and belching. This is similar to the health benefits of ginger root.
- Regular consumption of lemon juice aids the bowels and helps them to eliminate waste more efficiently, curing bowel problems such as digestion and constipation.
- The high vitamin C has been used for hundreds of years to fend off scurvy among sailors and travelers.
- With little sodium, lemon juice is good for people on a low salt diet.
- Lemon is a diuretic, which means it’s good for people with urinary tract infections and high uric acid problems. Those with arthritis or rheumatism will also be happy, because it helps flush out all the toxins and bad bacteria.
- Acts as a blood purifier and cleansing agent.
- It’s a perfect liver tonic as it encourages your liver to produce more bile which then aids digestion.
- Known to relieve the hiccups.
- Thought to relieve gallstones.
- Decreases phlegm produced by the body.
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic medicine, and can cure skin problems. It is known to rejuvenate your skin from within, and will create a natural healthy glow. If you juice lemons daily, you should notice a dramatic improvement in the appearance of your skin.
- Due to its skin enhancing qualities, lemon also acts as an anti-aging remedy and can remove wrinkles, blackheads and acne. Lemons are perfect for acne juicing.
- One of my favorite health benefits of lemon juice is its ability to minimize toothache pain. If fresh lemon juice is applied to the area of a toothache, it assists in getting rid of the pain. It can also stop gum bleeding and relieve bad breath.
- With some amazing antibacterial properties, lemon is a wonderful fighter of throat infections. It is known to prevent and minimize them, along with sore throats, and tonsillitis.
- Juicing a lemon is thought to aid weight loss, and paves the way to losing weight faster.
- Due to its high potassium content, lemon works wonders for people with high blood pressure, and is known to control and minimize it.
- Another of my favorite health benefits of lemon juice is its mood enhancing quality. Due to its amazing nutritional qualities, lemon juice is known to reduce mental stress and depression. It enhances the mood and cognitive performance, and even its bright color can be enough to make one smile.
- Lemon is known to assist and cure respiratory disorders.
- Lemon increases perspiration, and is useful for treating cold and flu symptoms as well as breaking fevers.
- Lemon juice helps to prevent and cure osteoarthritis.
- It’s known to prevent and control diabetes. While diabetics have to be careful with the natural sugar, lemon juicing for diabetics can be effective.
- Helps to prevent the development and progression of atherosclerosis.
- After reading all the health benefits of lemon juice above, you’re probably not surprised that lemon juice has antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- Pantothenic Acid
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
*Also contains small amounts of other vitamins.
*Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
Juicing Lemons and What You Need to Know
In some countries, growers of lemons coat them with wax and a chemical called diphenyl. They do it to extend their keeping properties and also to improve their appearance. So unless you want a mouthful of “diphenyl”, wash your lemons! Use a little unscented soap, then rinse thoroughly before juicing.
Before juicing, check for ageing. The first signs will appear where the stem was once attached to the fruit.
Juicing a lemon? Try these recipes.
- Juicing Recipe | Citrus Bounce
- Beet Juice Recipe | Liver Cleanser
- Apple Juice Recipe | The Skinny Apple
Other Uses for Lemon
The health benefits of lemon juice never stop… Here are some other ways you can use lemons to heal your body.
- Nose bleeds. Get a small piece of cotton wool, dip it in lemon juice and gently apply to the nostrils to stop epistaxis (more commonly known as nose bleeds). Careful though, as this may sting a bit.
- Gum bleeding. When massaged gently into the gums, lemon juice is known to stop gum bleeding.
- Chapped/dry lips. Lemon juice with glycerine is effective when used on cracked lips.
- Sunburn. When applied on the skin, lemon juice may also prevent sunburn.
- Lemon Balms. In highly concentrated forms, lemon is used in balms. Some people may know them as “cure-alls”. Lemon balms are well known for their ability to break fevers, no matter what the cause. Along with fever, they are also effective treatments for coughs, colds, hay fever, flatulence, menstrual cramps, dizziness, headaches and high blood pressure. Lemon can be used to great effect in juicing for high blood pressure.
- Mood Enhancing Lemon Balm. I thought this deserved its own point, as it’s a wonderful benefit. Lemon balm is used to cheer people up. It will calm anxieties, clear the mind and center the focus. Some people even say it improves memory storage and recall.
- Sore throat. If you have a sore throat, try diluting one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
- Weight Loss. Mix lemon juice with lukewarm water and honey.
- Toothache. Apply fresh lemon juice to the pain-inflicted area.
- Skin problems. Apply lemon juice directly to the skin and allow it to dry. This works especially well with acne and eczema. Rinse with a mixture of water with olive oil. This technique is also known to remove blackheads, freckles, and wrinkles.
- Shiny hair. No need for expensive shampoos and conditioners – just apply lemon juice to your hair after rinsing it, as it will give your hair shine and volume.
- Malaria. When mixed with coffee, lemon is thought to treat malaria. Try using it for headaches also.
- Burns and Scars. When lemon water is applied on the areas of burns it can fade the scars. It is a cooling agent, and also reduces the burning sensation on the skin.
- Bites and Stings. The leftover pulp from juicing is excellent for the skin, and will soothe the bites and stings of insects.
- Smooth hands. Add equal parts water and glycerine to create a mixture that will keep your hands smooth.
Lemon is extremely powerful and can be used to great effect when it comes to juicing. It is a great fruit to include in your juices, and will sweeten everything up.
Make the most of the health benefits of lemon juice by juicing lemons regularly. You’ll feel great and walk around with a smile plastered on your face for the rest of the day!
If you enjoyed this page, you’ll also enjoy:
Sign Up NOW For Daily Emails On Juicing...
- low-calorie juicing recipes (you're here to lose weight, right?)
- info on the incredible benefits (Want to know why ginger, spinach or carrots are healthy? Stay tuned.)
- little-known tips and tricks on getting the most from juicing (cut your clean up time in half, store juice for hours without losing nutrients, and more)
Enter your email address: