Burn fat and get slim (with juicing)
Daily juicing emails, including: low-calorie juicing recipes, incredible benefits, little-known tips and tricks
Health Benefits of Ginger Root
Discover the Medical Benefits of Raw Ginger
The health benefits of ginger go a long way to ensuring your ongoing health and wellbeing. And fortunately, our gingery little friend is available all year round in the produce section of your local supermarket. Ginger goes great with the incredible beet juice benefits.
What is ginger? Take a look at the picture to the right – that’s ginger.
Ginger is the underground rhizome of the ginger plant and tends to have a firm, tough texture. The flesh can be yellow, white or red in color, depending on the variety. It is covered with brown skin that will be thicker or thinner depending upon when the plant was harvested.
The health benefits of ginger root have been enjoyed by people worldwide for more than 5000 years. Ginger is used in cooking as well as in medicine. While you can get ginger powder or even dried ginger, I encourage you to always get fresh ginger.
Whenever I need to use ginger in something, I just slice a piece off and put it back in the fridge. I find it keeps for up to 3 weeks so long as I don’t peel it.
Health Benefits of Ginger Root
- Nausea. Of the health benefits of ginger, its ability to relieve nausea is probably its most famous. Along with relieving symptoms of nausea after a stomach bug, ginger can also be used to combat nausea from chemotherapy, morning sickness and surgery.
- Motion sickness. Many people have found ginger to be effective in relieving motion sickness. Studies have proven it to be more effective than a placebo and less effective than medications. However, since ginger comes without the side-effects of medications, it may be the better choice. Ginger reduces all symptoms of motion sickness including nausea, sweating, vomiting and dizziness.
- Cancer prevention. Along with many other fruits and vegetables, one of the health benefits of ginger is its strength in defeating cancer, specifically ovarian and colon cancer. Studies have found that ginger powder causes ovarian cancer cells to die and may also slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells. When juicing for cancer, ginger is a must.
- Painkiller. Ginger is known to be a powerful natural painkiller.
- Migraines. Ginger taken at the onset of migraine symptoms may prevent a fully-fledged migraine from developing. Ginger blocks the effects of prostaglandins; substances that lead to inflammation of blood vessels in the brain and eventually migraines.
- Immune booster. Ginger promotes healthy sweating which is often instrumental during the cold or flu. Along with detoxification, German scientists have found that sweat contains a powerful germ-fighting agent which fights infection.
- Heartburn. Many people use ginger tea (see below) as a natural heartburn remedy.
- Menstrual cramps. To relieve menstrual pain, add brown sugar to the tea. This is often used in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Digestive health. Ginger gets your digestive system up and running and is known to contribute to awesome digestive health. It can help digest fatty foods and break down proteins. It also tends to reduce gas or burping as well as prevent afflictions like diarrhea.
- Inflammation. One of the amazing benefits of ginger is its power to reduce inflammation. Because of this, ginger can be used to treat any disease caused by inflammations such as arthritis or ulcerative colitis.
- Cholesterol. It reduces the level of cholesterol absorbed and may have a role in lowering LDL cholesterol.
Other Uses for Ginger
- Cooking. Ginger is used by many cultures around the world, both for its benefits and its delightful flavor.
- Tea. Another easy way to enjoy the health benefits of ginger is to make a tea. Try mixing 5 slices of ginger in some hot water. If you’re trying to fix a cold, try throwing in garlic for some extra “punch”. You’ll get to enjoy the great garlic health benefits too.
Suggested Ginger Juicing Recipes
- Beet Juice Recipe | Liver Cleanser
- Carrot Juice Recipe | Carrot, Apple and Ginger
- Juicing Recipe | Ginger Cure
Sign Up NOW For Daily Emails On Juicing...
- low-calorie juicing recipes (you're here to lose weight, right?)
- info on the incredible benefits (Want to know why ginger, spinach or carrots are healthy? Stay tuned.)
- little-known tips and tricks on getting the most from juicing (cut your clean up time in half, store juice for hours without losing nutrients, and more)
Enter your email address: